Friday, April 17, 2009

Adapt-taste-ion


Here in Zambia John and I are learning to adapt. We are learning about the Zambian culture and participating in aspects of it, however, we are certainly still American and are learning how to bring the "taste of home" into our lives here.

Last night we made pizza! I worked up some dough (I am trying to figure out how I can manage to bake my own bread without an oven and keep my own starter with out a fridge... its sort of an experiment). We then made some sauce using tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and a pepperoni flavored soy-packet. We went into town yesterday so we bought a small package of cheese to use.

We discovered that by making small pizzas we could "bake" them on a skillet if we put it on a low setting (the first one was burn on the bottom because the pan was too hot) and left the pizza there for eight and a half minutes with a lid covering it. They turned out delicious! We were pretty excited that we found a way to make pizza with our limited setup here. Its all about being creative and finding a way to make something happen... is there a life lesson in there?

3 comments:

  1. life lesson #2, John takes better picture when not wearing a shirt.

    Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, please post more shirtless pictures of John.

    Thank you,
    The Management

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I cant wait to take my first Zambian poop! Its gonna be killer!!!

    ReplyDelete